Sunset Artisan Fair

Join us!
Saturday, June 5
10:00 am - 2:00 pm
3635 Lawton Street SF, CA
(between 42nd/43rd Ave)

Sunday, May 9, 2010

TRIPLE THREATS!

Sorry everyone, the last couple of days have been quite hectic and I wasn't able to give you a daily dose of our artisans. So for today, I've decided to go with a triple threat featuring 3 very talented artisans.

******

Our first artisan is Velma Quan. She will be featuring handmade eyeglass leashes and beaded lanyards. Stop by her table at the fair, say hi, and give your eyeglasses and work ID that pop they've been waiting for.



What will you be selling?
I will be selling eyeglass leashes and beaded lanyards. So few stores sell beaded eyeglass leashes and bead lanyards that I decided to make something unique that isn't widely sold in stores. They will come in a wide range of colors and designs that will be suitable for all ages!

I am most creative when...
I'm alone surfing the internet, strolling the aisles at Michael's or JoAnne crafts, and looking through craft books/magazines. My daughters also have fantastic ideas and come up with designs that I use in my projects.

What is your inspiration for your crafts?
I'm a very hands-on and visual person and I love arts and crafts. I find it to be very rewarding to make something from scratch and see the finished product. It’s amazing to start with just a few things or materials and when it is all assembled , you have something very unique that was made by hand.

One thing you want others to know about you?
After I got married, I taught myself how to knit and sew. Ever since my kids were born, I’ve learned through trial and error on how to bake and decorate cutout cookies to pass out to their classmates for their school and birthday parties. I always try to make each cookie special by packaging the cookie with the person’s name on the bag.

******

Our second artisan, Betty Lee, will be featuring her handmade cards of many occasions along with bookmarks. Contemporary and elegant, the simplicity of it speaks volume. They're true heart-melters.



What will you be selling?
Handstamped greeting cards and bookmarkers with some featuring scripture verses.

I am most creative when...
I see color in the everyday things in life.

What is your inspiration for your crafts?
Creating whimsical designs with fresh colors. My designs are simple, handmade cards that are unique. Hopefully the receiver will know that she/he is receiving something that is not store bought.

One thing you want others to know about you?
I love the color pink!



******

Our last artisan also happens to be the creator of the artisan fair. Aside from all the preparation work required to put this show together, you can tell how much energy and effort she is putting in just by the fact that her house is now known as "THE SWEATSHOP".

At first I was told she is making handmade 2011 calendars.

Then oh! I'm also making totebags.

Now the collection has extended to canvas lunchbags, recycled notepads, and pencil case.

So chances are there'll be something new tomorrow. Its like world domination, one craft at a time.

Everyone, SHERISE LEE!


What will you be selling?
I will be selling 2011 calendars that have been hand crafted and designed. A recent love of mine has been learning to make my own books, and the design of the calendar reflects this. Also, I will be selling canvas totes, lunch bags, and pencil cases. All of them will feature various designs (mostly from nature).

I am most creative when...
I am most creative when I'm not under pressure. I decided some time ago that crafting could never be my day job because the stress to create under the pressure of deadlines would be completely undo me. I like when I can set my own parameters around a design rather than have it dictated to me.

What is your inspiration for your crafts?
Making gifts for other people is really the impetus for many of my crafts. I am mostly inspired by a simple and clean aesthetic. I also appreciate function, so I like for crafts to have some level of practicality (and sensibility). I am inspired by watching others craft, and am challenged by their creativity.

One thing you want others to know about you?
I'm convinced that everyone has some form of an "artist" within them. It took the prodding of friends to persuade me not to be intimidated to explore my creative side. I was an Art History major in college and always believed myself to be an appreciator of art, but never one to actually "do" art. I like to run and eat when I'm not pursuing my design interests (just not simultaneously).




No comments:

Post a Comment